TAPS offers FREE Income Tax preparation for low income individuals, seniors and people with disabilities. During the months of March and April (the height of tax season), TAPS Tax Volunteers are only able to assist with the last four years of taxes. All returns are filed electronically.

Tax preparation services are offered on a "first come, first served" basis on THURSDAYS ONLY from 9:00 to 11:00 in the morning and from 1:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon. Our tax preparation services are typically in high demand, so come expecting a wait. TAPS does not offer "drop-off" tax preparation services. We only provide in-person services. PLEASE NOTE: There will be no tax clinic in the afternoon on December 13, 2018. There will be no tax clinic on December 27, 2018.

Clients are eligible if they have a modest income and a simple tax return. See below for more details:

Modest income

Total family income should be less than the amount shown below:

Family Size                                        Total Family Income

One Person                                        $30,000

One person w/ dependant           $35,000 (add $2,500 for each additional dependant)

Couple                                                $40,000 (add $2,500 for each dependant)

In general, a tax return is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from these sources:

  • employment;
  • pension;
  • benefits such as CPP, disability, CCB, EI, social assistance;
  • RRSP;
  • support payments;
  • scholarships, fellowships, bursaries or grants; or
  • interest (under $1,000).

Your tax return is not simple if you:

  • are self-employed or have employment expenses;
  • have business or rental income and expenses;
  • have capital gains or losses;
  • file for bankruptcy; or
  • are completing a tax return for a deceased person.

How many years can I file?

The CRA will accept returns for the last 10 years. If you need assistance with more years than that you can visit the CRA's Community Volunteer Income Tax Program website and search for another place in Victoria that can assist.


What if I have mislaid my T4 slips?

You can write to the CRA at: Canada Revenue Agency Tax Centre, PO Box 14001 STN Main, Winnipeg MB, R3C 3M3, giving your address, DOB, and SIN, asking for a copy of all T-slips for the years you have not filed a return to be sent to you.

If your sole source of income was social assistance, either the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction will give the amount to report, or we can calculate it, given that the amount has not changed over the past few years.

Clients can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to get missing T-slip info read to them over the phone.

How We Help ...